Lot 334 (Antiques and Interiors Auction 14th February 2018)
A Sunday stick in the form of a wood, with metal ferrule at tip and ivory and ebony insert, stamped D. Andrews and Sons, Scotland, St. Andrews. 84cm long
Sunday sticks, or clubs, were first made in the 1890's. Made by apprentices in the workshops to test their mettle. Called Sunday clubs because they could be surreptitiously used on the Sabbath, a day when golf was prohibited; as the owner wandered along the road he could take a furtive swish at the nearest pebble.
D. Anderson and Sons (St. Andrews) continued the business in 1893 that previously existed as D W Anderson. David Anderson was the son of legendary Old Da, a ballmaker and greenkeeper of the Old Course. The factory was situated adjacent to the 18th green on the Old Course at St. Andrews and saw all five of David Anderson's sons working there. The firm ceased trading in 1939.